The Corona virus has certainly become a concern for our communities. We want to let you know what Riverside is currently doing.
WHAT IS RIVERSIDE DOING FOR THE NEXT FEW WEEKS?
In light of President Cyril Ramaphosa’s address on Sunday 23rd March we want to let you know what’s going to be happening in terms of ministry at Riverside for the foreseeable future:
Click here for the video from Steve sharing some thoughts at the beginning of the Lockdown.
DON’T PANIC: First of all – don’t panic! We believe that God has us firmly in his hands and he will work in this season for our good (Rom 8:28). So let’s continue to trust him!
SUNDAYS: We will be providing resources for you to do Church@Home as a family. Restricting our access to others is the best way to control the spread of this virus. You will receive a sermon, suggestions for worship and prayer as well as resources for kids. This is an exciting way for us to Step Up in our faith and obedience.
LIFEGROUPS: LifeGroups will take a break from their midweek meetings until further notice.
VOLUNTEER: We want to be prepared for those who will need care. If you would like to volunteer to buy or deliver groceries for anyone who needs, please let us know at email@example.com.
CARE: If you know of anyone in our church community who needs to isolate, please do let us know so that we can ensure they are sufficiently cared for.
As the situation changes we will adapt as necessary and let you all know what’s going on!
Please don’t give in to fear! Be wise, take the necessary precautions, but let’s pray that we can look back at this season and see how God used it to grow our faith, mature us and grow our love for one another.
WHERE CAN I GET GOOD INFORMATION ON THE CORONA VIRUS?
The amount of information out there is overwhelming and it can be difficult to know where you can find information you can trust. For that reason we have compiled a short list of articles for you to read that can keep you informed:
- Click here for an article on how we can end the lock-down and restart the economy.
- Click here to see what you can/can’t do for the Lock Down.
- Here is the Government Website with latest info.
- Click here to see an animated video about the virus and what to do.
- For some useful infographics about COVID-19 check out this website
- There have been many great articles written to try and help form a Christian perspective on this season. If you are looking for some good challenge and encouragement, check out this article from the Four12 guys, this one from Ed Stetzer, this one from Ross Lester or this one from Philip Yancey.
- I found this interview with Prof Lynn Morris from the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) very informative.
- This excellent simulation explains why social isolation is the best measure for preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- If you want to know exactly what the Corona virus does to your body, this article has the answer.
- If you are looking for correct and up to date information from the South African National Department of Health you can click on this link and send the ‘hi’ message. You can also just save the number +27600123456 and send ‘hi’. This is not a Whatsapp group and you will not be spammed. It provides you with correct factual information using an interactive menu.
- If you present with symptoms of Corona Virus, please call the official COVID-19 HOTLINE (08000 29999) before going to your doctor, pharmcist or nurse. Someone will be sent to test you where you are, which will limit the spread of the virus.
- Finally, as Christians, we know we should not panic and be driven by fear. But if you want some more reason not to panic, be encouraged by this article.
PLEASE STAY CONNECTED
We will be closely monitoring the situation and providing necessary updates as required. So please ensure that you are connected to us in the following ways:
• Please ensure that we have your latest email address and cell phone numbers. You can update on the Oikos App or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
• Please stay connected on our Oikos App (see directions at www.riversidecommunity.org.za – bottom of the web page)
• Stay connected on social media (Facebook and Instagram)
• Stay connected with each other. Discretion must be applied in this, but there are wise ways to stay connected – especially with those who are at risk among us.
WHAT MEASURES SHOULD I BE TAKING?
We encourage you to take these measures for living a safer and more protected lifestyle.
• Please wash your hands thoroughly (at least 20 seconds with warm water)
• Use hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available
• Cover your cough or sneeze with your elbow rather, than your hand
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
• Disinfect objects and surfaces regularly
LOVE, POWER AND A SOUND MIND
The Scriptures remind us that we have not been given a spirit of fear, but a Spirit of power, love and a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7). We will say more on this on Sunday, but we trust a God who has defeated sin and death AND who promises to be with us in times of trial. We are not called to stick our heads in the sand in the name of faith. Neither are we called to be part of the fear mongering. Rather let us trust God with our fears and display supernatural levels of love, power and level headedness.